Thursday, August 28, 2008

Morning Glory Muffins


When I was younger, my grandma gave the family a subscription to Gourmet magazine one year for Christmas. I don’t really remember that the recipes in the magazine were very approachable, but I do recall making a muffin that was similar to carrot cake that had a ton of ingredients. I made them and I remember that they were very filling and were very moist.

I’ve been trying to think of things to make so my husband has something to take for breakfast, and I thought these would be perfect since they were moist and would last for a couple of days. I’d long lost the original recipe I had made, but found this recipe on allrecipes.com.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrots
1 medium tart apple, peeled and grated
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup raisins

DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Mix the wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Stir in carrots, apple, pineapple, coconut, raisins. (You can also add nuts, but I didn’t add them.) Be careful and don’t over mix.
Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Makes about 24 muffins.
Adapted from allrecipes.com

No comments: