Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie: Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops

This is my first Tuesday with Dorie! I received Baking from My Home to Yours for Christmas one year and I’ve made a number of the recipes since I got the book. It’s the first place I look for a recipe when I need to make something special. I often volunteer to make birthday cakes when someone at work is celebrating a birthday.

I’ve never really had malted milk before or ice cream malts. I’d had Whoppers before, what kid hadn’t gotten Whoppers in their bag at Halloween? I have to say that I much preferred Milk Duds, but I never really turn down candy! (Hmm, I wonder what cookie I can make with Milk Duds?)


This cookie came together easily. Chopping the Whoppers was a little tricky, and I had a few roll away from the cutting board to win their freedom. I think the chopped the chocolate to small, as the cookies we’re chunky like I had hoped. They are still very tasty. Maybe now I’ll go out and try a malt one of these days!



1-3/4 cup flour

1 cup malted milk powder (I used vanilla)

¼ cup cocoa

1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt

1 stick + 3 tablespoons butter, softened

2/3 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

¼ cup milk

2 cups Whoppers, chopped

6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped


Line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking sheets or parchment. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Mix together flour, malted milk powder, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. In a mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until smooth, 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla. The mixture looked curdled, but it was ok once I added the other ingredients.


Add half of the flour mixture and mix, on low, until just combined. Add the milk and mix on low. Add the rest of the flour mixture and mix to combine. Stir in the Whoppers and the bittersweet chocolate. The dough will be really soft and sticky.



Drop by tablespoons on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 11 minutes. If you bake two sheets at once (I didn’t), rotate the sheets half way through the baking time. The cookies will still be soft when you take them out of the oven. Let cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before removing to completely cool on wire racks.


Recipe from Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

15 comments:

Maci said...

they look great! welcome!

Christine said...

Welcome to the group, your cookies look delish!

Madam Chow said...

welcome to TWD! Your cookies (and photos) look great.
Madam Chow
http://www.mzkitchen.com

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Your cookies look wonderful!

Kelly said...

Welcome to TWD! Your cookies turned out great.

Pamela said...

WELCOME to TWD!! Your cookies look delicious. Great job.

Spike said...

Looking good, welcome to twd

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

Welcome! Your cookies came out perfectly. Nice and cakey.

Cathy said...

Welcome to TWD! Your cookies look perfect!

Prudy said...

Welcome and nice work!

betty geek said...

Welcome to TWD! Looking good there with them cookies!

La Bella Cooks said...

Welcome! Looks like they turned out delicious and I agree, those whoppers were tricky to chop up!

Melissa said...

Welcome! Great job!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Welcome to Tuesdays with Dorie! Your cookies look wonderful, mine weren't as chunky as I expected either, but we thought they made up for it in taste :)

Bungalow Barbara said...

Welcome! Your cookies look yummy!