Friday, November 14, 2008

Cranberry Bliss Bars



-->
This is a holiday favorite from Starbucks. I don’t know if these are available this year, but they’ve been popular the past few years. I look forward to the red cups that come every November, but I’m never sure about their baked goods. I often like what I make better than what they offer. These bars were an exception. They are really great! Cranberries and white chocolate, perfect for the holiday season.

I found this recipe on the Starbucks website a few years ago. Once in a while they post some recipes online, and I pulled this one off as soon as I saw it. I think that this recipe is a little different than what they sell in the store; these bars have a more pronounced ginger flavor than I really get with the ones from the store. I like ginger, so I’m ok with that.
These are softer than what you buy in the store, probably just that they are a little fresher. I’m usually someone who likes a lot of frosting on things, but this has a very thin layer of frosting and it’s just right. The recipe originally called for additional white chocolate to be melted and drizzled on top, but I don’t think that it needed it.

1 cup butter-- softened
1-1/4 cups brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup minced dried cranberries
1/4 cup white chocolate -- coarsely chopped
1/4 cup minced candied ginger
Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
Beat butter and sugar together for the cake base, and add eggs/vanilla beating until fluffy. Sift together flour, ginger, and salt and then add to the butter/sugar mixture beating well. Fold in the cranberries, chocolate and ginger. Spread thick batter in pan and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden.

For Frosting:
4 ounce cream cheese -- softened
1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons butter -- softened

1 teaspoon vanilla
For Garnish:
2 Tablespoons minced dried cranberries

When cool, mix all frosting ingredients together and spread a thin layer over the cookies. Immediately sprinkle with the minced cranberries.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Wow, these look absolutely delicious! I can't wait to make them!

Peabody said...

Bliss indeed. Looks great and very festive for this time of year.