Friday, November 28, 2008

German Chocolate Cookies



I love German Chocolate cake, so when I saw this recipe for German Chocolate cookies, I knew I had to try it. I needed to make some cookies to thank someone at work for helping me out, so I made these for her.

This recipe called for German’s sweet chocolate (which was named after a man named German, not of German origin). Well, I made these one of those nights when things weren’t quite going right. I had gone to the store to get the chocolate and when I went to melt it, the chocolate completely scorched and burned. I think there was a little water in the glass measuring cup that I used for melting the chocolate, which always causes problems.

I looked in the cupboard and I had some milk chocolate left over from another recipe that I thought would work for a substitute. Well, I burned that too! Yikes, I was running out of ingredients to use as a substitute. I finally used a mix of semi-sweet chips and milk chips, and melted them using a double boiler. The microwave usually works, but it let me down this time.

Well, despite the struggle with the chocolate, the cookies were great. Nice and chewy, with the added bits of pecans and coconut. They came together just as any other drop cookie, but they seemed special because of all the added flavors. I will make these again!

½ cup butter, softened
½ cup brown sugar, packed
¼ cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 4-oz. bar German’s sweet chocolate, melted
1-1/4 cups flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
In a large bowl beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and stir until combined. Add the melted chocolate and stir until combined.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to the butter mixture, beating until combined. Stir in the coconut and pecans. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are set in the center. Let cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.



Adapted from Paula Deen’s Holiday Baking

3 comments:

Cate said...

I'm definitely going to make these - I ADORE German Chocolate Cake!

Sarah said...

These look so, so good. Now I have a wicked chocolate craving!

Anonymous said...

Wow do these look great! I'm a big fan of fudgy chewy cookies, I'm gonna give this recipe a try for sure.