Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie: Caramel Crunch Bars

This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie selection was chosen by Whitney of What’s left on the table? Check out Whitney’s blog for the complete recipe. I love making cookies, so I was happy to try this recipe. I’ve made things similar to this cookie, but I liked that this one was topped with toffee chips. I’m a big fan of toffee chips!

This is a fairly simple recipe, with a cookie base that includes some chopped chocolate, which is then topped with melted chocolate and the toffee chips. I didn’t have any problems with this recipe at all. I was a little worried that I would have problems spreading the dough in the pan evenly, but that wasn’t too bad. I just know that when the dough has to cover a large area, I’d just better use my hands to spread the dough rather than a spatula. My hands are much better tools.


I used dark chocolate for the chocolate topping. I think that I should have used regular dark chocolate because the chips weren’t that willing to melt completely. I had to stick it in the oven for an extra minute or so to make sure that it completely melted. It was a little hard to spread the chocolate all the way to the edges since the edges were a little higher than the middle.

The cookies are pretty good, but they taste different that I expect. My husband said that he expects the crust to be like a chocolate chip cookie, but it isn’t that soft. It’s a lot thinner and a bit crunchy. The flavors are good. The toffee is a nice flavor that balances well with the dark chocolate. I think you can really taste the espresso powder that is in the dough too. These were really good with my morning coffee.

Recipe from Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, page 112

7 comments:

chocolatechic said...

They look wonderful.

We just loved them.

Teanna DiMicco said...

So glad you liked them! Great job!

TeaLady said...

They look just fine. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

These were wonderful bars. I loved them.

Lillian said...

These were wonderful, weren't they? Yours look great.

Megan said...

Quite a few people said they thought the bars would be like chocolate chip cookies. Now wouldn't that be good?

Unknown said...

I love how dark and velvety your chocolate looks. Mine were crisp. My hubby would like them chewier in the long run, but I liked them as is. Hey, anything with chocolate is heaven to me.