Friday, March 27, 2009

Golden Syrup Flapjacks



My husband had to put together a demonstration to show off a new software product and rather than doing something computer related, he decided to demonstrate how to make flapjacks. (The software records and archives presentations and makes them available to publish on the web.) Now these flapjacks are different than what you may think of at first. In England, flapjacks are an oat-based bar cookie. There are as many recipes for flapjacks in England as there are for chocolate chip cookies here in the states. Some are more complex than others. This recipe is very simple.

The first time I visited England with my husband, he really wanted me to try flapjacks. One of the first days we were in London we visited the Victoria and Albert Museum. We hadn’t had breakfast yet so we decided to get breakfast in the museum cafeteria. I have found that museums and especially department stores are a terrific place to get quick meals. That morning we grabbed several things to eat, including a flapjack. We had taken our cafeteria trays up to the register to pay for our breakfast but they weren’t quite set up yet so they said to eat our breakfast and come back to pay. They were so friendly! Quite a bit different than the service I have received here in the states sometimes.

I can’t tell you what that first flapjack tasted like. That was my first trip to England and I was pretty overwhelmed. I didn’t adjust very well to the time change and I was meeting all of my husband’s family so I was a bit stressed. I did have a good time, but I admit parts of the trip are pretty much a blur. These flapjacks were very good, nice and sweet but not too dry. You can also make them with honey if you don’t have golden syrup.

This recipe is from England, which is why some of the measures are by weight rather than volume. I also left the word “whilst” in the directions. This is such a great word and you never hear it here in America!

3 oz. butter

4 oz. brown sugar

2 rounded tablespoons Lyle's Golden Syrup

6 oz. rolled oats


Grease an 8 inch square baking dish and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.


Heat the butter, brown sugar and Lyle's Golden Syrup in a saucepan until the butter has melted. Stir in the rolled oats. Press the mixture into the baking dish and bake for about 20 minutes. Cut into squares whilst still warm then leave to finish cooling in the baking dish before turning out.


Recipe from Lyle’s Golden Syrup

No comments: