Friday, June 26, 2009

Chip ‘n’ Chunk Cookies



School’s out for summer! Well, sort of. I work at a college and I only work when classes are in session. I do work this summer but a lot fewer hours, so I have a whole list of different cookies that I am planning to bake. I do hope to clean out the pantry a bit this summer, so hopefully I will be able to find interesting recipes to use up some of those ingredients.

I finished up my last project the other day and I came home and celebrated by making cookies. I found these cookies and they sounded really interesting. My husband loves chocolate chip cookies but I don’t usually want to make those. These are a variation of chocolate chip cookies, with extra cinnamon chips and coconut added in. There are more chunks to these cookies than actual dough, which I like a lot. I hate it when chocolate chip cookies are flat. These are nice and chunky.

I really, really like these. They are a little more special than your standard cookie. The cinnamon chips add a lot. Cinnamon chips may be hard to find, but I stocked up at Christmas, since that seems to be about the only time I can find them in the store. You can buy them online through King Arthur Flour if you can’ find them at the store. They have a bit of a butterscotch/caramel flavor, which was most pronounced when they were fresh out of the oven. The flavors mellowed a bit overnight, but they are still really good. I think the ingredients would be fairly interchangeable, so if you are interested in cleaning out your pantry, give these cookies a try!

½ cup butter

¾ cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons vanilla

½ teaspoon salt

1 egg

1-1/4 cups flour

¾ cup cinnamon chip

1 cup chocolate chunks

1-1/2 cups chopped pecans

½ cup toasted coconut


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats.


In a large mixer bowl, cream together butter, sugar, baking soda, vanilla, and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, and then stir in the flour, chips, chocolate, nuts, and coconut.


Shape the dough into balls, about the size of a walnut and place them on the baking sheets. Leave about 2 inches between each cookie. Flatten the dough balls until about ½ inch thick.


Bake for 12-15 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove from the baking sheet and cool completely on a wire rack.


Recipe from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion

1 comment:

Leslie said...

These sound amazing with the cinnamon chips!!