Friday, July 17, 2009

Chocolate Ginger Brownies



When I am picking cookies to make for Fridays, I usually consider how many cookies the recipe makes. Since I usually take my cookies to work to share with my coworkers, I want to make sure that there are enough for everyone to share. During the summer fewer people are at work so I can make some of those recipes that make a much smaller batch. These cookies bake in an 8-inch square pan, so it only makes about 16 brownies. I figured that would be plenty to take to work on a Friday in the summer.

These brownies are a variation on a one bowl brownie, in this case a one saucepan brownie. This has added gingerroot, ground ginger, cloves and nutmeg. These are very quick and easy to make, just melt the butter and chocolate together and then stir in the other ingredients. The batter was easy to stir together, but it did seem a little oily. I had a little trouble knowing when the brownies were done, as they seemed to be undone in the center but the edges looked done.

When I cut the brownies, they did seem a little under baked. The brownie stuck to the knife so they didn’t cut cleanly. I would refrigerate the brownies before cutting, which I think would help make them easier to cut. The edges were overdone and they were fairly dry. I thought that the ginger and the other spices would have been stronger, but they added a very subtle spice. I really like ginger and I wanted that flavor to be more pronounced. They are a good brownie, nice and moist with a good chocolate flavor, but not something extraordinary. If you are looking for a quick brownie, these are for you. If you want a very gingery brownie, I would suggest adding some diced candied ginger and upping the ground ginger.

½ cup butter

3 ounces bittersweet chocolate

1 cup sugar

2/3 cup flour

¼ cup cocoa powder

2 eggs

1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

½ teaspoon vanilla

½ teaspoon nutmeg

½ teaspoon ginger

¼ teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon cloves


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8 inch square pan and line the bottom with parchment, allowing 2 inches to hang over the sides of the pan. Butter the parchment.

Melt butter and chocolate in a large saucepan over low heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.

Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes and then lift the brownies out of the pan and cool completely.

Recipe from Martha Stewart’s Cookies

No comments: