Friday, July 24, 2009

Flourless Fudge Cookies



My friend came over recently to learn a little bit about baking, and we made these cookies. I asked her what she wanted to make, and she requested something with chocolate, but no nuts or coconut. I told her that I would find recipes that fit the bill, and then would decide when she came over. I had this recipe saved in my favorites folder, and we ended up deciding to make this recipe. For someone new to baking, we couldn’t have selected an easier recipe!


This recipe is from King Arthur Flour. I love making their things! I also love that they are so nice to bloggers. I’ve had a couple of comments on my blog from folks at King Arthur Flour and they are so positive and seem genuinely happy that you are making their recipes. There’s one publication that I’m almost afraid to make their recipes, since I’ve heard that sometimes they are really cruel to bloggers. I’m happy to make things from King Arthur Flour, and I love buying things from their Baker’s Catalog .


These cookies showed up on King Arthur’s blog, Bakers’ Banter , and I knew that I had to try them. These cookies have no added fat, which for a cookie recipe would usually have me running the other way, but these looked so good. I ended up adding chocolate chips, which have fat, so mine are not fat free. For those looking for a gluten-free cookie, they fit the bill as long as you use gluten free vanilla. (From the limited Internet research I did, I learned that chocolate chips are gluten free, so feel free to add those, too.)



These are super simple, just add everything together and stir. My friend learned how to separate eggs, since this recipe calls for egg whites. I used a combination of natural and Dutch-process cocoa powder, which seemed to work out fine. You have the option of 2 cups of additional add-ins, such as nuts or chocolate chips, and I did add the chocolate chips. I think that they would be good with nuts and mini marshmallows, to make a rocky road cookie. If you don’t add any extras, these cookies spread a lot, but with the chocolate chips they didn’t spread much at all. It’s a bit difficult to tell when they are done, but the tops do get shiny and they look a little dry. They have an intense chocolate flavor, and you really have no idea that they are gluten free and relatively low in fat. These were wonderful and the perfect thing to make if you want a simple, intense chocolate cookie.


2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon espresso powder

1 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-process preferred

3 large egg whites

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 cups chocolate chips


Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets. Or line with parchment, and grease the parchment.


Stir together all of the ingredients till smooth. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, and stir again till smooth. Drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets using a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop.


Bake the cookies for 10 minutes; they spread only slightly, become somewhat shiny, and develop faintly crackly tops. Remove the cookies from the oven, and allow them to cool right on the pan.


Recipe from King Arthur Flour

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just ran across your blog looking for chocolate recipes. These look delicious! Do you remember about how many they make?