Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie



This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was selected by Linda of
Tender Crumb. She picked the Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie. This pie is a cross between a key lime pie and a lemon meringue pie. I’ve made key lime pie before and I really like it. I’d never made lemon meringue pie before, but I’d always wanted to try. Needless to say, I was really excited to make this pie.



The lime filling in this pie is so good! You could just eat it plain. The recipe called for ¾ cup of lime juice, which Dorie says is about 6 limes. I bought 6 limes and I was thrilled to get enough juice from them! The lime cream has a very assertive lime flavor, but it is also quite sweet. The
filling is very rich, due to the 2-1/2 sticks of butter that you add to the lime cream. I don’t know if that much butter is standard, but it sure made for a good lime cream.


The meringue was very simple to make. I’d never made meringue
for a pie before, but I’ve done other meringues. I wanted the top to be kind of spiky, and I was able to do that with a spoon. The recipe makes a lot of meringue, so there was a lot to “play” with to get it to look right. You brown the meringue under a broiler, and boy, does that happen fast. I knew that some of the other Tuesdays with Dorie bakers had burnt their meringue, so I put it under the broiler for about 30 seconds, and then for a few seconds more and it was done. The pie took a long time from start to finish, but it was worth it. It’s an impressive looking pie and tastes wonderful.

Recipe from Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, pages 337-339

5 comments:

Teanna DiMicco said...

I burnt my meringue so quickly - glad you didn't make the same mistake! It looks grogeous!

Unknown said...

This looks wonderful! Love the spikes. Oh, I wish I had a slice. I am getting hungry.

TeaLady said...

Pie looks lovely. Beautiful meringue.

Linda said...

Your pie turned out beautifully - I especially love the spiky meringue! I'm so glad that you enjoyed this recipe - it's definitely a keeper at my house.

Thanks for joining in the baking fun this week!

Cecille Ericta said...

Pie looks really gorgeous!