Friday, October 9, 2009

Toffee Candy Bar Cookies



So I always have the best of intentions that I will clean out the baking cupboard and use up all those ingredients. Having a well stocked cupboard is a good thing, but not when it gets as cluttered as mine is! I pulled out three bags of chocolate chips out of the cupboard: mint chocolate chips, raspberry chocolate swirl chips, and a bag of chocolate toffee bits. I made a pledge to myself that I would use up one of those bags so there would be at least one less package in the cupboard.

I ended up deciding to make these cookies and use the chocolate toffee bits. They sounded really homey: a big oatmeal cookie with chocolate and toffee. They spread quite a bit when they bake
so don’t crowd too many on the baking sheet. These are quite thin and flat and the brown sugar and toffee just melt together for a wonderful flavor. I don’t think that you can taste the chocolate very much, but I think that’s ok. For me, these flavors remind me of fall and they were a perfect choice to make now that fall has arrived.



1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2-1/3 cups oats
1 package chocolate covered toffee bits

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with silicone baking mats.

Cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar in a large mixer bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. In a separate bowl , mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the dough and stir. Add the oats and the toffee bits and mix until combined.

Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and place on the prepared cookie sheets. With the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar, flatten the cookies to about ½ inch thick. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

Recipe from Company’s Coming: Most Loved Treats by Jean Pare

No comments: