Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Stained Glass Cookies


This is another cookie that I made for Christmas. I found the recipe in one of my cookbooks, but I remember my aunt making these at Christmas. As a kid I thought that they were so festive so I wanted to make them this year. They are easy to make and keep very well, so they are perfect for the busy holiday time. They’re actually a no-bake cookie, just mix together, refrigerate and slice.

When I bought the colored marshmallows, I noticed that they are actually different fruit flavors. I thought that they were just colorful! I don’t think that they make that much of an impact on the flavor of the finished cookie. They are quite sweet but nice and airy. I’ve discovered that my husband loves these cookies a lot. This doesn’t make too many (about 24) and I noticed that a lot of them were gone! They’ve ended up being quite popular, as many people said that family
members had made them in the past. It was nice to make something that brought back so many fond memories for different people.


1 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
2-1/2 cups colorful mini marshmallows
1 cup powdered sugar
½ cup quartered maraschino cherries
½ cup chopped pecans
1 egg, beaten
½ cup coconut

Melt chocolate chips and butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat or in a microwave. Be careful and don’t over heat.

Add marshmallows, powdered sugar, maraschino cherries, pecans, and egg. Stir until combined. Allow to cool until firm enough to handle, about 20 minutes. Shape into a 2-1/2 inch diameter log.

Sprinkle coconut on to waxed paper. Roll log in coconut until coated. Wrap the log in waxed paper and refrigerate until firm. (I refrigerated mine overnight.) Cut into slices, cleaning knife with hot water after each slice.

Recipe from Company’s Coming Most Loved Treats

1 comment:

Alee said...

My MOH makes these too! Thanks for sharing the recipe!