Friday, January 8, 2010

Cashew Caramel Thumbprints



I normally don’t like thumbprint cookies. I’m not sure why, but they usually are just kind of plain and a bit soggy sometimes. Lately I have seen a couple of different thumbprint cookie recipes that have looked intriguing. I saw these in one of the holiday baking magazines that I bought, and then Peabody made them for her blog, Culinary Concoctions by Peabody. That pushed me over the edge and I just had to give these a try. I figured they had enough special touches that they certainly wouldn’t be plain.

These cookies came together quickly. They are a little messy when you roll them in the egg white and it’s a little tricky to get the cashews the stick, but not too bad. I ended up making the thumbprints with the back of a ½ teaspoon measuring spoon, and I did remake the impressions after baking. I had more caramel than I needed, since you really don’t use all that much with each cookie. Be careful melting the white chocolate, since it scorches so easily. I usually
microwave it for about 30 seconds, stir, and then heat for 10 or so more seconds as needed. These turned out picture perfect and I like them a lot. I would like the nuts to be a little crunchier, but other than that they were great. I’m encouraged to try a few more thumbprint recipes since these were so good.



½ cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt
1-1/3 cups flour
1 egg white
1 teaspoon water
1-1/2 cups chopped roasted salted cashews

16 caramels, unwrapped
3 tablespoons heavy cream

3 ounces white chocolate
1 teaspoon shortening

In a mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and salt; beat on low until blended. Add flour and beat until combined. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for one hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Beat the egg white and water with a fork; set aside. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls. Roll the dough balls in the egg white mixture and then in the chopped cashews. Place the cookies on the baking sheets and make an indention in each cookie with your thumb. Bake cookies until the edges are set, about 12-13 minutes. You may need to remake the indentations while the cookies are still warm.

In a small saucepan, heat the caramels and heavy cream over low heat. Stir until the caramel melts and then remove from the heat. Spoon the warm caramel filling into the indentations. Allow to cool completely.

Heat the white chocolate and shortening in the microwave until the chocolate melts. Drizzle chocolate over cookies and refrigerate until set.

Recipe from Cuisine at Home Holiday Baking

2 comments:

Jade said...

I love cashews and carmel. Putting them together sounds magical!!

Pamela said...

Any cookie with caramel in it is bound to be a star! YUM!