Friday, January 29, 2010

White Chocolate Macadamia Crackles



After last week’s chocolate overload, I decided on something less extravagant this week. I try to rotate between bar cookies, shaped and drop cookie, and also between chocolate, citrus, nut, and other flavors. Sometimes time is a concern as well, as I don’t always have a lot of time to bake! I had a lot of work this week that had to be finished so I ended up baking sheets of cookies between getting extra bits of work done. Hopefully next week won’t be so busy!

I had purchased macadamia nuts a couple of weeks ago for another recipe. I couldn’t find that recipe when I was looking for what to make (although I did find that recipe just a moment ago!) but these use the same amount of nuts so I thought it would be perfect. I had thought about making a lemon/orange macadamia cookie, but this worked out just as well. White chocolate and macadamias are often paired together. The sweetness of the white chocolate balances the richness of the macadamias.

These are really addicting! They are chewy on the bottom but because of the sugar-coated top, they are light and crispy on the top. I really like the extra texture that dipping them in sugar adds. They are very buttery, a combination of the butter and the macadamias I think. They do tend to spread a bit so go ahead and make them small; they won’t seem so small after baking. This batch makes about 4-1/2 dozen, which will get eaten very quickly if you aren’t careful. Make a double batch!



½ cup butter, softened
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup white chocolate chunks
½ cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
Additional sugar

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, shortening, and sugars until light and fluffy. Stir in the egg and the vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Gradually add this mixture to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the white chocolate chunks and the macadamias. Form into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for one hour or until easy to handle.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Shape the dough into one inch balls. Dip the top half of the ball in water and then in sugar. Place the cookies, sugar side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Recipe from Taste of Home Best Loved Cookies & Bars

No comments: