Friday, May 21, 2010

Chocolate Snickerdoodles



Snickerdoodles are my favorite cookie and they were one of the first things that I made for this blog. I’ve seen quite a few different snickerdoodle recipes: snickerdoodle cupcakes, snickerdoodle Bundt cake, etc. My husband came across this recipe and I couldn’t wait to try it! Chocolate snickerdoodles sounded so good. They seemed very true to the snickerdoodle recipe that I usually use, so I had great hope that these would be just as good.

The cookies do taste a lot like snickerdoodles, just with chocolate. One of the reasons I love snickerdoodles is that the centers are so soft and melt in your mouth. That was true with this cookie also, but with the chocolate it was a bit of a fudgy texture. They don’t stay soft as long as regular snickerdoodles, but that wasn’t much of a problem because I took them to work and by the time I went to lunch, there was only one left! These are definitely worth trying!

2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
Cinnamon sugar, for rolling

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Stir in vanilla and eggs. Add flour mixture and stir, do not beat, until mixed.

Shape dough into 1″ balls; roll balls in the cinnamon sugar. Place 2″ apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 6-9 minutes or until set. Remove from cookie sheets immediately.

Recipe from Cookie Madness

No comments: