Friday, May 7, 2010

Peanut Butter Cup Chunk Cookies



I’ve mentioned before that one of my hobbies is ballet, and Wednesday nights I’m gone for most of the evening. My husband stays home and has the run of the house. Sometimes I will ask that he do something while I’m gone, the dishes or something like that. This week, I asked him to pick the cookies for Friday. This is a bit of a dangerous proposition, as he always requests chocolate chip cookies. I like to try things a little bit different, so I was curious to see what he would pick.

A couple of days previously, he had instant messaged me a link to the Cookie Madness website which had an entry for the best cookies in different categories. He said he would look though the site and give me options. When I got home from dance, he had emailed me four different options, and I this was first in the list so I decided to make these.

The Cookie Madness site calls these “Get Well Soon Cookies” because she had first made them for a sick friend. I’ll just call them by the other name she gives, since I’m just baking them to share with my husband and my friends at work. They are basically a peanut butter cookies with extra bits added in: chocolate chunks, peanut butter cups, and Reese’s Pieces. I hadn’t had Reese’s Pieces in years! These are really good, like a jazzed-up peanut butter cookie. I think I would maybe substitute milk or semi-sweet chocolate for the dark chocolate, but then maybe that balances the sweetness of the other elements. Definitely a winning choice!

½ cup butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 large egg
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup coarsely chopped Peanut Butter cups, frozen
2-1/2 oz finely chopped dark chocolate
Reese’s Pieces (as many as you want)

In a large mixer bowl, cream butter, peanut butter and both sugars. Beat in vanilla, egg, molasses and milk. Beat in salt, baking soda and baking powder, scraping sides of bowl to make sure ingredients are evenly distributed. Add flour and stir until mixed. Stir in frozen peanut butter cups and chocolate. Chill the dough for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Using a cookie scoop, shape the dough into mounds. Before baking, decorate tops with Reese’s Pieces. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until set.

Recipe from Cookie Madness

No comments: