Friday, July 2, 2010

Vanilla Currant Cookies



I got this recipe from one of the cookbooks that I received as a gift one Christmas when we were in England. It’s quite a fun cookbook, with recipes that are quite a bit different than the ones in some of my American cookbooks. Of course, using a cookbook from another country poses its challenges! Some ingredients are just not available (Kingston biscuits?) and others I have to covert to measures I can understand. One of the most unusual things is that many of the recipes in this cookbook use self-rising flour. I suppose you can get that here, but I don’t have it. Luckily I found a conversion in another cookbook so I can handle that. Oh, this recipe calls for a “moderately hot” oven which I guess translates to 400 degrees according to Google.

When I have to translate weights and measures, I’m always a little worried that the final product won’t turn out right, but these came together with no problem. It seemed like a lot of leavening, but they are just fine. I didn’t flatten mine as much as I could have, so mine are a little puffier than the picture in the cookbook.

These are somewhat reminiscent of iced sugar cookies that you have at Christmas, and I wasn’t expecting that at all. It was nice to have a reminder of Christmas in July! The cookies aren’t super sweet, so they pair well with coffee or tea. I took them to work as I usually do, but I hadn’t photographed them yet. I left a couple at home to photograph later, but unfortunately my husband got home before I did and ate all but the last one. So behold the one lonely cookie that remained!

4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup shredded coconut
¼ cup currants

1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
About 2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat butter, vanilla, sugar and egg until light and fluffy. Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Once combined, add the coconut and currants and mix until combined.

Shape the dough into small, teaspoon-sized balls and place on the prepared cookie sheets. With the palm of your hand, flatten the balls slightly. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack before icing.

To make the icing, combine the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. If the icing is to too thick, add additional milk. Drizzle the icing over the cooled cookies.

Recipe from The Australian Women’s Weekly Cookbooks: Biscuits and Slices

1 comment:

Eliz said...

Just made these. Was going to put icing on them, but they taste great even without the icing so I didn’t. Delicious cookies. A huge hit in my family even from those who hate anything resembling raisins.