Friday, August 13, 2010

Almond Toffee Triangles



This is one of those recipes that I usually don’t think about making because I always assume that I have made it and posted it on my blog. I had a friend ask me for a recipe recently and I thought of this one. I went home to find the link to send to her, but I realized that I hadn’t made it to post. It’s such a good recipe so I decided to make it right away.

The trickiest part of this recipe was finding the right pan to use. You make these in a 10” x 15” inch baking sheet. This is the traditional size of a jelly roll pan, but a jelly roll pan has 1” tall sides. My pan has edges that are about ½” inch tall, plus my baking sheet is really beat up. These cookies are extremely thin, so I figured that I would be ok. I used to have a pan with 1” sides, but I have no idea where that went to!

The recipe for these cookies is a simple base, and the recipe gives three variations for toppings: almond toffee, chocolate peanut or chocolate pecan. I’ve always made the almond toffee variation, since I like to bake with sliced almonds. I had to change the filling a bit, since I was out of heavy cream. I used milk and it worked out fine. Don’t worry if the topping doesn’t cover every inch of the crust; spread it out as best you can. These are a little crumbly, and they are a little better a day or so after baking (they become less fragile). They aren’t too sweet, and go perfectly with a cup of tea.

2-1/2 cups flour
1 cup butter, cut into pieces
½ cup powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10” x 15” baking sheet (or cookie sheet of similar size). In a large mixer bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until the mixture resembles crumbs. Press firmly and evenly into prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, make the topping.

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
¼ cup butter
¼ cup heavy cream
1-1/2 cups sliced almonds
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat; remove from heat. Stir in almonds and vanilla. Pour over hot crust; spread evenly. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until set and golden. Cool completely before cutting into bars or triangles.

Recipe from Favorite Brand Name Cookie Collection

4 comments:

Jeannette said...

These look fantastic!! I'll have to bookmark them and make them for my toffee lovin' momma soon :)

scrambledhenfruit said...

These really do look good! I love nuts and toffee. Thanks!

Michelle said...

These look excellent! I will have to try them.

Laura Paine Carr said...

yum.
do you have a suggestion of how to make these without the corn syrup?
thanks.