Friday, August 20, 2010

Glazed Cinnamon Logs



Since I try not to eat too many of the baked goods that I made, I usually take my cookies to work and share them there. When I started baking, way back when I was in college, I would always take things to work. At that job, my coworkers would sometimes leave tips, which was enough to help me keep supplied with butter. I use a lot of butter and it can get expensive!

My friend at work recently took a trip to Portland and visited the Penzey’s Spices store in town. I’ve looked at their catalog a couple of times, but I had no idea that they had a store that was so close. When she was there, she decided to pick up some Vietnamese Extra Fancy Cinnamon, which Penzey’s describes as “the strongest, richest, and sweetest cinnamon around.” She gave it to me and I was thrilled to give it a try. I was so touched that she thought of me!

I wanted to find a recipe where cinnamon was the star, but I didn’t want to make cinnamon rolls. I came across this recipe and thought that it would be just right. It’s simple dough, and it’s assembled sort of like a refrigerator cookie. You make the dough, chill, and then roll into ropes and cut in pieces. Super fast! These cookies are tender as can be and just melt in your mouth. They aren’t too sweet and the cinnamon flavor is nice and strong.

¾ cup butter, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1-1/4 cups flour
½ cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
½ teaspoon vanilla
About 1 tablespoon milk
Cinnamon

In a large mixer bowl, combine the ¾ cup butter and 1/3 cup powdered sugar and beat on medium until creamy. Reduce the mixer speed to low and stir in the flour, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Divide the dough into three parts. Roll each part into a 20-inch rope. Cut each rope into 10 segments, each about 2 inches. Place on the cookie sheet and bake for 11-13 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool before glazing.

To make the glaze, combine the 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, vanilla and milk in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth, adding additional milk if necessary. Drizzle over the cooled cookies and then sprinkle with cinnamon. Store the cookies in a single layer.

Recipe from Land O Lakes

2 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, Nicole, you've made me so happy! And the cookies are delicious!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I love Penzey's catalog! Those cookies look yummy and easy to put together. They'd be great with tea! Thanks!