Friday, September 10, 2010

Cran-Apple, White Chocolate, Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies



So this is the last week before I head back to work full time, time to get ready for fall quarter and a new batch of students! I suppose that many students dread going back to school, but I loved this time of year when I was a kid. I liked school and felt like I was in my proper place once school started. I guess it’s no surprise that I work in an educational setting. I like working with students, even though they are sometimes very stressed out. As much as it’s nice to have more time in the summer, I look forward to getting back into the swing of things at work.

Wanting to use more of the great cinnamon that my friend gave me and also wanting to make a cookie with the flavors of fall, my husband went on the look for recipes and he found this one. It’s really perfect! I love using apples in desserts, but it’s more unusual to find them used in cookies. This recipe had apples, oats, dried cranberries, white chocolate and nuts. There are more bits than batter in these cookies, but they are wonderful.

I was a little worried when I was making these about whether they would hold together while baking. There really was so little batter that I didn’t know how they would turn out. I shouldn’t have worried! Some of the cookies were chunky and some less so, but they taste great. All the flavors of fall combined in a little cookie. Because of the apple and the dried cranberry, the cookies are quite soft and get softer as they age. If you’re looking for the perfect fall cookie, this is a contender!

½ cup butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup diced peeled apple
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs until well blended. In a separate small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; stir into sugar mixture until well blended.

Fold in the oats, apples, nuts, cranberries, and white chocolate chips. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly on the baking sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

Recipe from Best of LA

3 comments:

scrambledhenfruit said...

These cookies look so good I'm going to try them tomorrow. They really do look like a perfect fall cookie. I hope you have a great school year!

Jaimie said...

Thank you for your recipe! Using apple in cookies must be an unusual idea seeing as this was the only recipe for such a thing that I found on the net! I was looking for just apple and white chocolate but I was inspired by the addition of oatmeal, I made my own version and it was the perfect addition to a rainy day!

Unknown said...

Would these be good with blueberry instead of cranberry? I have like 2 lbs of dried blueberries, somehow...