Friday, October 8, 2010

Maple Pecan Cookies



I’m very impressionable these days it seems. I was eating lunch at work and reading the newspaper and found this recipe. It was described as the perfect fall cookie. I must have been hungry or something because I thought they just looked perfect and I wanted to try them as soon as possible.

They’re really a great find since they called for ½ a cup of maple syrup. Maple syrup is one of those ingredients that I buy to use in a specific recipe and then I have some left over. What can you make that just calls for a little bit of maple syrup? I try not to waste things but I end up with these random odds and ends of ingredients. This was the perfect recipe that used up the extra syrup that I had on hand.

In making these, I have to say that they are one of the strangest cookies that I have ever made. Cookies are usually made with the creaming method where you cream the butter and sugar and then add the dry ingredients. This recipe has you combine all the dry ingredients, coconut, sugar, and spices. Then you melt the butter and add all the wet ingredients and mix everything up. It’s not very dough-like, I don’t exactly know how to describe it. I made small cookies and baked them for 14 minutes and they are soft and pliable. They have a wonderful maple flavor, which I love. Toasted nuts, oats, and coconut make for a very tasty cookie!

3 cups oats
1 cup shredded coconut
2-2/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup unsalted butter
½ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 teaspoons baking soda
¼ cup boiling water
1 teaspoon maple or vanilla extract
2 cups chopped toasted pecans

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut, flour, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar. Whisk to combine.

In a small saucepan, combine the butter, maple syrup, and corn syrup. Heat on medium until the butter is melted, stirring occasionally. In a separate bowl, combine the baking soda and boiling water, stir to dissolve the baking soda. Add to the maple syrup mixture and stir well. Stir in the extract.

Add the liquid ingredients to the oat mixture and stir to combine. Add the pecans and stir to combine. Drop by teaspoonfuls on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 14 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through the baking process.

Cool on the cookie sheets for at least 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from relishmag.com

3 comments:

briarrose said...

Interesting recipe. I've had an urge to make something with maple flavoring...I suspect it's the fall weather. ;)

Unknown said...

these look and sound wonderful!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I love maple and nuts together- these sound great!