Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cardamom Crumb Cake



This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was selected by Jill of Jill’s Blog. She chose the Cardamom Crumb Cake, which is a small little coffee cake flavored with cardamom, coffee, and orange zest. You can get the complete recipe from Jill’s blog and also check out how the Tuesdays with Dorie bakers did this week.

I haven’t baked very much with cardamom, just one cake that I can recall. I use cardamom pods for a rice pilaf that I make, but that’s quite a bit different. As I recall, I didn’t like the cake I had made with cardamom, but I couldn’t exactly remember why. My cardamom was pretty old so I decided to buy some new stock for this recipe. When I bought the cardamom, I thought that it smelled really strong but figured out it would be ok in the crumb cake. I made the cake and it looked beautiful. I did have to bake it a little longer but otherwise it turned out just fine.

After having this cake, I’ve decided that I don’t like cardamom. It’s too floral for my tastes. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised since I don’t like Earl Grey Tea and similarly floral things. For me, despite the fact that this cake was beautifully light, nice and moist and had a great crumb topping, all I could taste was the floral cardamom. I think I would really like this cake with nutmeg, or just cinnamon, since I really liked the cake otherwise. I’m glad I did try this, but I doubt that I will be making anything with cardamom anytime soon.

Recipe from Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, page 38

4 comments:

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Glad you gave it a shot - it looks wonderful! :)

Suelle said...

I think cardamom is one of those 'love' or 'hate' flavours, with no in between position - my husband hates it too!

I've seen this cake on several blogs today (no surprise there!) and it looks as if it has a lovely texture. I'd try it with a different spice, I think, if I were you!

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks lovely. At least you gave it a try! There's definitely a strong cardamom flavor, so if you don't like that, this isn't going to work. Thanks for baking with me this week!

Judy said...

Your cake looks lovely. Perhaps you could try another spice and see what turns out.