Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chocolate Oatmeal Drops



This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was selected by Caroline and Claire of Bake with Us. They chose Chocolate Oatmeal Drops. You can get the complete recipe on Caroline and Claire’s blog. These are exactly as described: drop cookies made with chocolate and oats. They are quick to put together and very tasty too!

Since there isn’t a picture of these cookies in the book, I hadn’t noticed them before. I find it a bit hard to explain these cookies. The prep for these is sort of like making a one saucepan brownie. You melt the chocolate, sugar, and butter in the top of the double boiler and then stir in the dry ingredients. I love recipes that don’t mess up a lot of dishes! My dough was a little bit oily and spread a little on the cookies sheets, but I know a couple of other bakers had the same issue so I made sure that the cookies had plenty of room to spread.

I must have made my cookies small as I made half the batch and still got 3 dozen cookies. Because they were a little oily, they were a little shaggy about the edges. These have more of a cocoa taste than a chocolate taste, and they’re very nice. Kind of a simple cookie, but you don’t always need the triple layer cookies with lots of extras. (My husband, left to his own means, put some of the leftover cream cheese frosting from yesterday’s cupcakes on them, and he said that was great!) I liked these: they were easy to make and taste really good.

Recipe from Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, page 75

7 comments:

Flourchild said...

Your are a lot fatter then mine! I loved the taste of thee! Of course I love anything with oatmeal !! I love the ribbon tied around the cookies~!!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Yum! They look wonderful and sound amazing topped with a cream cheese frosting! :)

Tia said...

the ribbon is a nice touch. I did a white chocolate version :) Yours look yummy! Buttercreambarbie

Pamela said...

Yum...these would've been great with that luscious looking frosting slathered on there! Smart guy, your hubs!

Jodie said...

Haha I love that your husband put frosting on them! Maybe that's what mine needed- they were a little dry!

Caroline said...

Everything is yummy with cream cheese! Thanks for baking with us this week.

The Bake More said...

Beautiful cookies, and beautiful ribbon flare.