Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Toasted Almond Scones



This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was selected by Mike of Living Out West. He chose Toasted Almond Scones. I love breakfast baking and I’m really happy that these recipes are being selected. I don’t make scones all that often, because they really should be baked and eaten right away. I get to work really early in the morning so it’s nearly impossible to bake before work. This time I just hoped that they wouldn’t get too stale between the time I made them and when I took them to work.

I love almonds and these smelled so good when baking! They came together with no problem, and the dough wasn’t as shaggy/crumbly as scone dough sometimes is. Since I was taking them to work, I made them a little smaller than the recipe specified. They baked about the same amount of time, but I did keep a close eye on them since over baked scones aren’t very good.

The almond flavor in these isn’t that strong, which is weird since they had a great almond scent while baking. They have a great texture, but I would like the almond flavor to be more pronounced. I already added a little bit extra almond extract, but I don’t know how else you could boost the almond. Serve these with a good jam, and you wouldn’t miss a thing! Thanks to Mike for picking such a great recipe. You can get the complete recipe on his blog.

Recipe from Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, pages 28 and 29.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I thought these were great. I'm sure your co-workers love you!

mike509 said...

Beautiful scones!! So glad you liked them! I thought they could easily use some minor adjustment - more almond extract or sugar if need be (I loved them just as is)! Took mine to work as well - and they disappeared. A good sign. Thanks so much for baking along with me this week!!!