Friday, March 25, 2011

Lemon Rum Madeleines



The library where I work isn’t that large and our staff is pretty small, but it seems like all of the birthdays come together in groups. We’ve had two birthdays this week, plus there are several birthdays in January and several at the end of October/early November. I don’t bake for all of the birthdays, but I do when I can.

My boss’s birthday is here and I know her favorite is Madeleines. I had made traditional Madeleines before, but since they’re my boss’s favorite cookie, I was on the look out to find another variation to try. I found this recipe online that was a lemon and rum variation. Somewhat traditional but not completely and they looked like they would be fairly easy to put together so I put them on the list to make. Someone else actually brought the birthday cake, but I wanted to make these as an extra treat.

These are quick to put together, but certainly give your mixer a good workout. I didn’t quite get the butter folded in as well as I would have liked, and you can certainly tell in the first batch that I baked. The second batch turned out much better once I completely mixed in the butter. These are light as a feather and I like the lemon flavor: it fits well with the delicate nature of the Madeleines. These aren’t quite picture perfect, but they taste really good. Happy Birthday Boss!

2/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon rum
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or spray with cooking spray two Madeleine pans.

In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Set aside. In a large mixer bowl, combine eggs, extract, and lemon juice. Beat on high for 5 minutes. Gradually add in powdered sugar. Beat another 5 minutes until thick. Gently fold the flour mixture into the batter. Then fold in the melted butter.

Spoon one tablespoon of batter into the center of each shell indentation. Don’t fill the Madeleines too full. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until edges are light brown. Allow to cool slightly before removing from the pan.

Recipe from http://en.petitchef.com/recipes/lemon-rum-madeleines-fid-833245

No comments: