Friday, April 29, 2011

Nutella Swirl Chocolate Chip Cookies



I follow a chat list and we talk about all sorts of things. On the cooking board conversations usually center around cooking and baking, but we often drift in other directions, depending on what is going on in our lives! The conversations recently have focused on the Royal Wedding, which will have already happened by the time you read this post. Are you excited for the Royal Wedding? I think it’s a very happy occasion and I’m super excited to see the wedding dress, but I’m not infatuated.

I thought about baking something British for today’s recipe, but cookies, pardon, biscuits, aren’t what I first thing of when I think about British desserts. I think of steamed puddings, which my husband is fond of making. I did have a couple of tea cookies that I was going to post, but I decided against that plan. These cookies are about Plan C or Plan D for this week’s recipe, but no worries, they are a combination of things I like and my husband likes, so a winner all around.



I had made some other cookies that I was going to take to work but my oven is acting strange so they didn’t bake quite right. I had seen these cookies just today on Tastespotting and figured that I would have all of the ingredients to make them. Plus, my husband always wants me to make chocolate chips, so ok! These were quick to make, which I appreciated since it was getting late. They’re not super fancy, just chocolate chips with a subtle Nutella taste.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup Nutella
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter, sugar and the brown sugar. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Add the eggs and the vanilla and mix on medium speed until combined.

Stir in the flour mixture on low speed until combined. Using a spatula, stir in the Nutella, letting it swirl throughout the batter. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Scoop dough into 1 inch balls and drop onto baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake for 8- 10 minutes until set. Remove cookies from the baking sheets and let them cool on wire racks.

Recipe from Mochi Thoughts, who adapted it from others

3 comments:

The Addicted Baker said...

Looking good! Too bad I don't have any nutella to whip these up right now!

briarrose said...

Mmmm...subtle Nutella flavoring...love it!

Tates said...

I love baking cookies. Thanks for good informative blog. I loved this blog lot.