Friday, June 10, 2011

Butter Rum Sandwich Cookies



I’ve wanted to make some sandwich cookies for a while now. There’s just something fun about a sandwich cookie, I’m not sure if it’s the filling or the fact that you get two cookies and some extra! I came across these rum sandwich cookies in a cookie magazine and knew they would be a hit. You get the fun of a sandwich cookie and the added benefit of rum. I make these cookies for Fridays, and sometimes by Friday it has been a long week!

These sandwiches are supposed to be triangles, but I thought that was needlessly fussy to try and shape the logs into triangles. The rounds are just fine. I didn’t top my cookies with sanding sugar as the original recipe specified, mainly because I only had orange sanding sugar and that would not have worked with a butter rum cookie. That would have added a little crunch, so if you have sanding sugar on hand feel free to sprinkle the cookies with sugar before baking.

Processing the powdered sugar and pecans before adding it to the dough was a little odd as the pecans are already chopped, but you don’t want big chunks of nuts at all. I have another favorite slice-and-bake recipe that has chunks of almonds and they are nearly impossible to slice cleanly. That was no problem with these cookies. This recipe doesn’t make very much filling, but it was just the right amount. I usually make extra filling/frosting since I like that so much, but I was ok here. The cookies taste like nutty shortbread and the rum filling adds the perfect touch.

½ cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons rum
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt

1-1/3 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup butter, softened
1-1/2 teaspoons rum
1-2 tablespoons milk

In a food processor or small chopper, combine the powdered sugar and pecans. Processes until the pecans are finely chopped, about one minute. In a large mixer bowl, add the powdered sugar/pecan mixture, butter, rum, and vanilla. Mix in medium until creamy, 2-3 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low and add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat until well mixed.

Divide the dough in half; shape each half into a 12-inch long roll. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least two hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Slice the logs into ¼” slices and place on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Cool completely.

Make the filling: In a large mixer bowl combine the powdered sugar, butter, and rum. Stir to combine. Turn the mixer to low and gradually add just enough milk to get the filling to the desired consistency. Spread about ¾ teaspoon filling on the bottom of cookie and sandwich together with a second cookie.

Recipe from Land O Lakes

5 comments:

briarrose said...

Such a delicious, little cookie. Love that rum flavor.

Jannett said...

the idea of rum is a good one.. ;O)

Anonymous said...

Those sound so good! I think adding liquor to baked goods makes them seem more sophisticated (and fun!).

The Honey Nut said...

I just came across your blog! I love the name :) These cookies look delicious too. I love butter cookies!!

Bake...Mistake? said...

Looks such a good cookie!! I'm trying to teach myself how to bake at the moment, would love any advice you could give me!http://bakemistake.blogspot.com/