Friday, July 15, 2011

Rum Raisin Shortbread



Week 3 of boozy cookies brings us rum raisin shortbread. They contain currants and not raisins, which I don’t think are the same but this reference librarian didn’t feel like doing the research. The notes in the cookbook say that currants are a variety of raisin, but I think they are a different fruit altogether. No matter, anything soaked overnight in rum is going to be good!

For some reason, these cookies make me think of buttered rum that you typically get around the holidays. The weekend after Thanksgiving my husband and I always stay in a hotel in downtown Seattle. Last year when we went the crowds were just a bit too much and we were both fairly grumpy. After trying several places for dinner and not wanting to wait forever, we ended up at the Nordstrom Grill and just had the most pleasant experience. They had buttered rum cocktails and boy, they were just what we needed that night. I now have quite a fondness for buttered rum (and the Nordstrom Grill).

At any rate, these cookies are flavored by the rum, the currants, and finely shredded coconut. You don’t really notice the coconut; in fact I could see the coconut most in the pictures I took than in the cookies themselves. I made these in advance and they were there waiting for me to slice and bake when I was ready; perfect for a busy schedule. I really liked the combination of flavors and was pleasantly surprised at how easy these were to make. A successful cookie all around!

Rum Raisin Shortbread

½ cup dark rum
1 cup currants
1 cup butter, softened
¾ cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
¾ cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
1 teaspoon salt

Combine rum and currants in a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap. Allow to sit at room temperature overnight. Drain; reserving 2 tablespoons rum.

In a large mixer bowl, add butter, powdered sugar and lemon zest. Beat until creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and the reserved rum, beat well. Reduce speed to low and add the flour, coconut, and salt. Stir in the currants by hand. Divide the dough into 2 halves; shape each half into a log about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in parchment or waxed paper and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 3 days.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Slice the cookies into ¼” slices and place on the prepared baking sheets. Bake until pale golden, about 20 minutes. (If baking more than one sheet at a time, rotate sheets half way through the baking time.) Cool completely on wire racks.

Recipe from Martha Stewart’s Cookies

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These sound fabulous. I have a copy of that book - I should look at it more often!

Unknown said...

I made these a Christmas or two ago and loved them - thanks for reminding me of them!