Friday, September 16, 2011

Peanut Butter and Jammy Bit Cookies



I often fall in love with ingredients sold through the King Arthur Flour catalog and I recently was so enamored with one of their recipes that I placed an order right away. (That post will come later.) Plus I was out of vanilla so it was time to restock! I’d had my eye on these jammy bits for a while and I was glad I remembered to order them when I got the other items.

These bits are exactly as described: they taste like little bits of jam. They taste pretty good just on their own! I figured that they would be perfect in peanut butter cookies, because who doesn’t like peanut butter and jam? I wanted to find a puffy cookie, but these didn’t turn out to be puffy in the end. I adapted a recipe that called for 1-1/2 cups of chocolate chips and I only used about ½ cup of the jammy bits, so that may be part of the difference. They turned out to be these perfectly round, flat cookies with bursts of fruit flavor, so while different than expected they are really great. I’m not a cookie dough eater, but my husband said that the jammy bits have an even more robust flavor after baking. These were really fun to use in cookies.



Peanut Butter and Jammy Bit Cookies

½ cup butter
6 tablespoons peanut butter
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
½ cup jammy bits (or chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees . Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a microwaveable bowl, combine butter and peanut butter. Heat in 30 second increments until melted. Let cool completely. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In a large mixer bowl, mix the cooled butter/peanut butter and sugars until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until combined. If the dough is crumbly, add 1-2 teaspoons of milk. Fold in jammy bits.

Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until slightly brown. They will still look soft in the middle. Allow to cool slightly before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Adapted from How Sweet It Is

3 comments:

Brett said...

Those look so amazingly delicious, nice job!

Unknown said...

I've had my eye on those jammy bits in the KAF catalog...now I know I must order some. The cookies look wonderful. I'm thinking the bits would be great in oatmeal, too.

Cindy said...

I love KAF, now it is getting cooler I can order their yummy Burgundy Chocolate Chunks. I'll have to order the jammy bits, how fun.