Friday, September 30, 2011

Vermont Maple Cookies



Ok, so I don’t know if I can officially call these “Vermont” cookies as the key ingredient, maple sugar, is from Pennsylvania. I purchased the maple sugar back in the spring when I visited Philadelphia, and I’ve not used it up all that much. I was glad that I hadn’t used my stash as this recipe calls for an entire cup of maple sugar. The recipe in the cookbook gives a long explanation how they tried combination of brown and maple sugars to get the right flavor, and that it’s really best with the full amount of maple sugar. You may be able to find maple sugar at health food stores if it’s something you can’t find otherwise.

This cookie has layer upon layer of maple: maple sugar in the dough, a maple/sugar coating, and maple glaze. You get the robust maple flavor with maple sugar, maple flavor, and maple syrup. For me, finding the maple flavor was the hardest part, as I try my best to avoid artificial flavors. I’d go to the store and there’d be a spot for the maple flavor, but no actual product. And this wasn’t recent when everyone is doing their fall baking!

Well, with all the ingredients in hand, these were not difficult to put together. The dough is pretty sticky so I would refrigerate them for longer to make the dough easier to work with. The glaze took the longest, since I brushed mine on the cookies with a brush that was simply too large. Oh well! These are reminiscent of snickerdoodles, but the maple flavor puts them over the top. These are a great cookie for fall, very homey.

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup maple sugar
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon maple flavor
2-3/4 cups flour

2 tablespoons maple sugar
2 tablespoons sugar

1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1-2 tablespoons milk
A few drops maple flavor

In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter, sugars, cream of tartar, salt, eggs, baking soda and maple flavor. Mix on medium until light and fluffy. Add the flour and stir just until combined. Wrap the dough in waxed paper and refrigerate at least 30 minutes until it is easier to handle.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a small bowl, combine the maple sugar and sugar. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll them in the sugar mixture. Place them on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes, until light brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Make the glaze: in a medium bowl combine the powdered sugar, maple sugar, 1 tablespoon milk and maple flavor. Stir to combine. If the mixture is too thick to glaze the cookies, add additional milk. Brush the glaze on the cooled cookies and allow the glaze to harden.

Recipe from King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion

2 comments:

Carrie B said...

I need to order some maple sugar... even though I live in NH I can't find it in the stores. And its the only way to get that strong maple flavor with out using those gross extracts! Love this recipe I'll have to try it once I get some sugar!

beckyt said...

I will bake these cookies for my maple-loving family! Thanks for posting these!