Friday, October 21, 2011

Pecan Caramel Crispies



So what do you do with that last bit of cereal left in the cupboard? I occasionally by Rice Krispies for use in some sort of recipe, but I never end up using the entire box. I don’t really like to eat them just as normal cereal, so usually they sit in the cupboard and I eventually throw them away because they are stale.(I know, I could make Rice Krispie Treats, but I never do!) I was cleaning the other day and noticed I had about ¼ a box left. They weren’t stale, so I vowed to use them up.

I realized that I have had this recipe bookmarked since June, and I figured it would all but use up the remaining cereal I had on hand. Since I also had some other baking to do that day, I was thankful that they were a quick, stir together and bake cookie. They are quite interesting, with caramel, toasted pecans, and the crispy rice cereal. I usually expect brown sugar in a cookie that has those flavors, but this uses powdered sugar instead. Boy, even the dough smelled great!

I baked these for the longer time and I have to warn you, they still look under baked when you take them out of the oven. The cereal will be beginning to brown on the cookies and they firm up as they cool, so don’t worry. Since you get the crispy rice cereal both in the dough and on the outside of the cookie, you notice them more than you do in other cookies that have crispy rice cereal in the dough. These are really great, and now I just need to figure out recipes to use up all the other odds and ends in the cupboard.

Pecan Caramel Crispies

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1 cup crispy rice cereal, plus more for rolling cookies
1/2 cup caramel sauce, warm (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar. Add egg yolk, vanilla, and salt; mix well. Gradually add flour; mix just until combined.

Add the pecans and stir with a spatula until combined. Carefully stir in 1 cup of crispy rice cereal.

Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll them in additional crispy rice cereal. Place on prepared cookie sheet spacing them 1-2 inches apart.

Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until light and golden brown. Do not over bake. Allow cookies to cool 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

If desired, drizzle the cooled cookies with caramel sauce. Allow the caramel to cool before serving.

Recipe from Daydreamer Desserts

No comments: