Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Honey Nut Scones



One of this week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was selected by Jeannette of The Whimsical Cupcake. She chose Honey Nut Scones. We’re so close to finishing the book that we’re doing two recipes a week until the end of the year and then we’ll be done. How sad! But don’t worry, there are always new things on the horizon. You can get the full recipe for these scones on Jeannette’s blog. Don’t forget to check out the Tuesdays with Dorie site and see how the other bakers fared with this recipe.

We’ve made a number of different scones for Tuesdays with Dorie, and on the weekly Q&A post for this one, several people mentioned their tricks that they use to make sure that their scones turn out well. One of the suggestions was to pat the dough into a round pan, score the scones, bake them in the pan and then fully cut them once they are baked. I tried this method and I think it worked quite well. The scones don’t get the crusty edges, but overall the scones are less dry.

These scones combine whole wheat flour, a touch of honey, and pecans, which give them a great flavor. I used the lightest touch possible when making these, and I think they rose a little more than previous attempts at scones. I didn’t cut the butter in all that much, but it worked out ok. I’m glad that I tried the new method of baking these in the pan, I think that really helped!

Recipe from Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, page 31.

7 comments:

Hindy said...

We loved these scones. Yours look delicious!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I bake scones both ways, depending on my mood, but usually my mood wants them baked in a pan and cut later! Your scones look perfectly light which is quite an accomplishment given the whole wheat flour in the dough.

Flourchild said...

Im glad you enjoyed them! I love making scones and breads this time of year..they just scream Fall baking!
They look great!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

I wish I would have tried the scoring method. Yours have some great height and look so moist!

I loved these. Making the Far Breton tonight!

Unknown said...

Those look fantastic. I can't believe we're done with scones!

Unknown said...

Wow, gorgeous scones - yours have such great height!

Jeannette said...

Yum, what a delicious looking scone! Iam going to have to try Nancy's way of making scones soon!! Thank you for baking along with me :)