Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Normandy Apple Tart



One of this week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was picked by Tracey of Tracey’s Culinary Adventures. She chose the Normandy Apple Tart. This week’s other recipe was the Sour Cream Pumpkin Pie/Tart, selected by Judy of Judy’s Gross Eats. I didn’t have a chance to make that due to my oven dying last week. You can check out the two sites to find the full recipes for both of this week’s selections. And don’t forget to check out the Tuesdays with Dorie page to see the links from all of the bloggers.

The Normandy Apple Tart is a very simple tart, just the tart shell filled with chunky applesauce and topped with sliced apples. I actually made and served this on Thanksgiving, and was able to make it with no added sugar so my diabetic father could enjoy it too. I used regular pie dough as it contains less sugar. I cheated a little and used store bought applesauce. My husband had picked up some chunky honey crisp applesauce that was spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg and I figured it would be perfect for this tart. And it was unsweetened so it was even more perfect. It seemed like making your own applesauce was a lot of work, so I’m glad I went the easier route.

I had to assemble and bake this at my parent’s house since I’m still without oven. (The new one is supposed to be installed today!!) This was so easy to put together and looked quite impressive once baked. It wasn’t overly sweet, but you certainly wouldn’t think that it was lacking any flavor. I don’t think I have baked anything that my dad has been able to eat in a very long time. I love baked apples and this tart was really great.

Recipe from Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, page 304-305

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm sure your Dad was very happy. This is a very impressive looking tart. I'm way behind on my TWD posts. I think I will make this soon.
Have a great day--bake something with your new oven!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Bummer about the non working oven! Your tart looks like it was a hit. I bet that honey crisp applesauce was delicious! :)