Friday, December 16, 2011

Shrewsbury Biscuits- 12 Days of Cookies Day 8



12 Days of Cookies Day 8: Shrewsbury Biscuits. When I plan my Christmas baking, I create categories so that I will have a nice variety of cookies. Chocolate cookies, mint, nutty, fruity, etc. I also have a category for British cookies, since there are flavors and many different cookies that my husband is familiar with. I’ve already done a cookie with mincemeat, and I have one very special British cookie planned for Day 12 of the 12 Days of Cookies.

This recipe comes from my husband’s British Good Housekeeping cookbook. Shrewsbury Biscuits are kind of like shortbread/sugar cookie with added currants. The dough is very simple: butter, sugar, flour, and egg yolks. My husband says that he’s always had them with currants, so I’ve added them here. In the cookbook’s recipe the currants are optional. You could also use candied orange or lemon peel if you have that around for the holidays.

The dough takes no time to put together and you don’t have to chill the dough before rolling, so these come together in no time. I suppose that you could cut them in different shapes, but I’ve always seen them as rounds so I stayed with the traditional route. Cutting them out with the currants in the dough is a little tricky, so make sure your cookie cutter is nice and sharp. I love the combination of lemon zest and currants in these. They are a simple cookie, perfect for tea, but very special in their own way.

½ cup butter, room temperature
5 ounces sugar
2 egg yolks
zest of 1 lemon
8 ounces flour
2 ounces currants

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the egg yolks and the lemon zest. Slowly add the flour and the currants. Stir until the dough comes together.

Roll half of the dough on a lightly floured surface until ¼” thick. Cut the dough into rounds and place on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the other half of the dough. Reroll the dough scraps and cut as many cookies as possible. Do not reroll the dough too many times.

Bake the cookie for about 15 minutes until very lightly browned on the edges. Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from The Good Housekeeping New Step-By-Step Cookbook (British Edition)

2 comments:

Rach M said...

Hi. Looks great. Is this all purpose flour or self raising?

TheGirlinRed said...

Amazing cookies! Just made them, and it didn't take long at all. We used the zest of orange instead of lemon. In Canada where we live we can only buy them imported around Christmas time so making them home is a treat :-)