Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Cake Mix Cookies



I don’t often bake things that start with a cake mix, but this was a special occasion. I recently spent a week in California with my husband, my parents, my brother and his wife and two kids. We were staying in a condo so I didn’t have my normal supply of baking ingredients. I knew that I wanted to bake with my niece and nephew, but I had to figure out how that wouldn’t be too much trouble. I went looking for a cake mix cookie. I found this one and figured it would be great.

My niece is 7 and my nephew is 3 and I wanted them to be involved as much as possible. The beauty of this recipe is that you can use any cake mix that you’d like, and mix in any extras that you’d like. My niece went to the store with me and I had her pick the cake mix. She chose a chocolate cake mix which surprised me because she doesn’t really strike me as a chocolate kid. I asked her what to mix in to the dough and she thought really hard about that. She thought of things that wouldn’t be good to mix in (like licorice) and finally settled on M&Ms.



My niece and nephew took turns stirring the dough and did a really good job. Both attempted to add eggs, but both kids had accidents with that so they let Auntie Nicole add the eggs. They were very good taking turns and just couldn’t wait for the cookies to bake. They intently watched them bake! For such a simple recipe, they turned out really well, and they were enjoyed by all.



1 box cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup of mix-ins (chips, M&M's, nuts, toffee bits, etc.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray or line with silicone baking mats.

In a large bowl mix together the cake mix, eggs and oil. Stir in the mix-ins. The dough may seem oily, but don’t worry.

Scoop one tablespoon of dough onto the prepared baking sheets with a cookie scoop or two teaspoons. Bake for 10-12 minutes the cookies are set. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Hoosier Homemade

1 comment:

HoosierHomemade said...

Love the pictures! Thanks for sharing!
~Liz