Monday, September 24, 2012

Almond Paste Brownies



So, these may look like a plain brownie, but let me tell you that these are anything but. These are fantastic and if you love almonds or love marzipan, these are for you. I won’t kid you; these use an entire package of almond paste for a 9” square pan and almond paste isn’t cheap. But they are so worth it.

This just makes a 9” square pan, which isn’t very many, but they are quite rich and you can get away with cutting them into smaller pieces. I had hesitated baking them because it recommends that you make them and then refrigerate them overnight to let the flavors come together. I don’t usually have that much time, as I make them and take them pretty quickly. This time I had the opportunity to make them in the evening and then I cut them the next night. 

I had just a tiny part of one when I cut them and they were so, so good. Something about the cold, yet soft and decadent chocolate/almond mix was incredible. They were good when they were warm, too, and I ate more than just a tiny part of one at that point! I brought some of these to my friend who is particularly fond of marzipan and she really liked them. I know they look plain, but you must try these!

Chocolate Almond Paste Brownies

½ cup butter
4.5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
¾ cup almond paste, cut into pieces
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon hazelnut or almond liqueur
1 teaspoon brewed coffee
½ cup flour
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 inch square baking pan with foil and spray the foil with cooking spray.

In a microwave safe bowl or in the top of a double boiler, melt the butter and chopped chocolate. Don’t overheat. Set aside to cool slightly.

In a small food processor, pulse the sugar, almond paste and salt until it is quite smooth. Place the mixture in a large mixer bowl. Add the eggs and mix until thoroughly combined. Add vanilla, liqueur, and coffee and stir to combine. Add flour and stir until combined. Add the slightly cooled butter/chocolate mixture and beat until smooth. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.

Spread the batter in the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few gooey crumbs. Remove from the oven and let it cool on a rack completely.

Cover the pan with foil and refrigerate overnight. Lift the brownies from the pan and peel away the foil. Cut into bars while cold.

Adapted from Gluten Free Canteen

No comments: