Friday, December 21, 2012

Peppermint Crunch Rounds



12 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 11! These cookies are a terrific variation of the classic Russia teacake/Mexican Wedding cookies that you usually see at Christmas. They are one of my favorites, so I was thrilled to come across this recipe. I saw the Andes Peppermint Crunch chips at the store and knew that I could find a great recipe to use them in. The chips and white chocolate bark and peppermint candies combined, so how could they be bad? 

I did some looking and decided to go to the Andes website to see what they suggested you make with these chips. Did you know that Andes mints are made by the same company that makes Tootsie Rolls? I sure didn’t know that! They had a couple of recipes that I pinned, and decided on this one since it was so similar to one of my favorites, just with different flavors. The original recipe has you make crescents, but I made them into rounds like the classic cookie.

I made this dough on evening and failed to read the “refrigerate 4 hours or overnight” part of the recipe. So instead of staying up to midnight, I kept the dough in the refrigerator. I ended up baking the cookies 3 days later and they turned out great. I just let the dough sit out at room temperature for about 40 minutes before shaping the dough. It’s a nice time saver to be able to make the dough in advance. I really love these cookies! The peppermint is so refreshing and the crunch of peppermint is wonderful with the buttery crumbly cookie. These are not to be missed!

Peppermint Crunch Rounds
1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup powdered sugar
2 ½ cups flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
10 ounce package Andes Peppermint Crunch chips, divided
Powdered sugar, for rolling

1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk

In a large mixer bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the 2/3 cup powdered sugar and salt, beat well. Gradually add the flour to the butter mixture, beating on low speed just until blended. Stir in 1 cup of Andes Peppermint Crunch chips. Shape dough into a large ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 4 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape tablespoons of dough into balls and place on the baking sheets. (I got about 32 cookies.) Bake until very lightly browned. Depending on the size of your cookies, this could take 18-24 minutes. Allow to cool for 3-4 minutes before rolling in powdered sugar. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.

Make the glaze: in a small bowl combine 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons milk. Stir until smooth. Dunk the tops of the cooled cookies in the glaze. Sprinkle with Andes Peppermint Crunch chips. Allow the glaze to set before serving.

No comments: