Friday, July 26, 2013

Mars Bars Squares


I’ve been posting to Cookies on Friday for nearly five years. Every Friday I post a new cookie recipe that I’ve made. I try and plan to always make sure that I have a recipe to post and I have never missed a Friday. This week was really a challenge and I was beginning to panic at the thought that I might not have a recipe to post. It’s very hot in my house, we were out of town for a few days, etc. I usually have some recipes in reserve that I can use, but not this time.

A friend at work suggested “Flashback Friday” where I post a recipe that I have made previously. While I didn’t do that this week, it’s a great idea if I’m in a bind. There are quite a few recipes that I posted long ago that I wouldn’t mind highlighting! For this week, I did eventually find a no-bake cookie recipe that I could make. No-bakes are still not perfect, as you have to stand over a stove, but it is better than turning on the oven.

This recipe is from a Canadian publication, but it feel s really British. The Mars bars here are the ones sold in the UK, in a red and black wrapper. The closest we have here in the States is the Milky Way bar. They are very similar, but the caramel and the fluffy part are a different ratio. I used Cocoa Krispies for this recipe (because my husband was with me at the store and said “Let’s try those!”) and they worked great. Now I have a big box to use up and eat. I hope he likes Cocoa Krispies. These are quite chocolatey, and I love the caramel flavor. Wow, these are one of those addicting cookies that you can’t stop eating!

Mars Bars Squares
4 Mars Bars, each about 1.8 ounces, cut in pieces
½ cup butter, cut in pieces
3 cups Crispy Rice Cereal
1 cup chocolate chips
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1/3 cup white chocolate chips
2 teaspoons vegetable shortening

Line a 9-inch square pan with foil and spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large saucepan, combine the Mars Bar pieces and the butter. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Don’t worry if the mixture seems to separate; it will come together.

Remove from the heat and stir in the Crispy Rice Cereal. Stir until the cereal is fully coated. Spread the mixture in the prepared pan. Press down to compress and even out the mixture. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes.

Make the chocolate topping: in a medium bowl combine the chocolate chips and 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. Continue microwaving in 30 second increments until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour over the chilled cereal mixture and spread evenly. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Make the white chocolate garnish: in a small bowl combine the white chocolate chips and the 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until smooth. Watch carefully: white chocolate scorches very easily if it gets too hot. Drizzle over the bars and refrigerate for 10 minutes.

Lift the foil from the pan and peel away the foil. Cut into squares.

Recipe from Most Loved Recipe Collection

No comments: