Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Brown Sugar Pound Cake with Caramel Glaze


Photo from

It’s my 5th Blogiversary! I didn’t really know when I started my blog all those years ago, as a way to share my baking with people, that I would still be going 5 years later, 710 posts later. I have to admit that this summer has been a little hard to keep a regular blogging schedule, with the weather being so warm and not as many people to bake for! But I think the weather has finally started to turn towards fall and I am super excited for fall baking!

When deciding what to bake to celebrate, I decided to bake to bake what I wanted to bake. What do I enjoy most? I love all the cookies I make, but I wanted to make something a bit fancier. And for that type of occasion I almost always turn to a Bundt cake. And I chose one with flavors I love (flavors of fall!): caramel, brown sugar, pecans, and toffee. 

Like all Bundt cakes, this comes together with little fuss. It is a big cake though! My cake stuck to the pan a little bit, just like Sheryl’s did on the original post. I, too, just stuck it back together and covered it with caramel. It looked great. Even though the library is closed right now because we’re between academic quarters, I took this to work to celebrate with all my friends!

Brown Sugar Pound Cake with Caramel Glaze
1-1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup sugar
5 eggs
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
8 ounce bag of toffee bits
1 cup pecans, chopped

14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Make the cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 12 cup Bundt pan.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter until smooth. Add the brown sugar and sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for one minute after each addition.

In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in the toffee bits and pecans. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.

Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, until a thin knife inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool completely on the wire rack before topping with the caramel glaze.

Make the caramel drizzle: in a medium saucepan combine the sweetened condensed milk and brown sugar. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and whisk constantly for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla. Drizzle over the cooled cake while the caramel is warm.


No comments: