Friday, September 20, 2013

Balsamic Shredded Beef



For this round of the recipe swap, it’s Blogger’s Choice! I was assigned Carrie’s blog Carrie’s Sweet Life and I got to choose any recipe I wanted. It’s always quite a choice to pick which recipe I make. Since I participate in the recipe swaps to expand my horizons, I usually try to pick a non-baking recipe to make. Thanks Sarah from A Taste of Home Cooking for organizing the Recipe Swaps!

The weather is turning cooler, and my husband had been talking about making Philly Cheesesteak type sandwiches at home. Plus all my friends on Facebook and Pinterest keep posting yummy looking beef roasts. So I came across this recipe for Balsamic Shredded Beef and thought it would be wonderful. I really like balsamic vinegar so I thought adding it to a roast was ingenious! Plus, I got the makings for Philly sandwiches so we could go that route too.

I cooked my roast for about 8 hours, and it probably could have cooked even longer. I think it depends on the roast you get. This was way more meat than my husband and I could eat, so we had leftovers, warmed with barbeque sauce, that was excellent as well. I really liked this and the balsamic cooking liquid is just divine! Thanks for such a great recipe Carrie!

Balsamic Shredded Beef
3-4 pound boneless beef roast
1 cup beef broth
½ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 cloves garlic, chopped

Place roast beef in your slow cooker. Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Pour the mixture over the beef roast. Cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
Once the roast is cooked, remove it from the slow cooker and place on a cutting board. Shred the meat with two forks. Moisten the meat with some of the reserved cooking liquid. 

Serve the shredded beef on buns. Top with toppings of your choice: sliced cheese, grilled onions, grilled bell peppers.

Recipe from Carrie’s Sweet Life

2 comments:

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I love that you participate to go outside your comfort zone. Glad you enjoyed this.

kae71463 said...

What a perfect meal for fall. Looks great!