Friday, November 8, 2013

Sugar & Spice Drops



I find it hard to go wrong with a good spice cookie. Ginger cookies are the best, especially this time of year. These cookies sounded so great, so homey. Not super complex with lots of ingredients, but just a good combination of molasses and some spices. The description of this cookie promises a cookie that is crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. 

This is an unusual cookie recipe in that it calls for no butter and no eggs. The fat in these cookies is in the form of vegetable oil; very different! I didn’t realize that I was low on molasses when I started the recipe. I thought about running to the store, but it was super stormy outside. I remembered I had picked up Lyle’s dark treacle and that’s made of molasses. I made the cookies and took them out of the oven and they looked great. At that point I noticed the note in the cookbook that said that dark treacle is not suitable for cookie baking. Dang.

The cookies actually tasted ok, but they were a little strange. I decided to go to the store, get molasses, and try another batch. Luckily, this recipe is super quick to put together. The second batch looked a little different, a little puffier. The second batch was a little sweeter, too, with the molasses flavor not so overpowering. I love the crisp/chewy texture of these cookies and the spices come together very well. Well, for a cookie that I had to make twice, at least I picked one that was easy!

Sugar & Spice Drops
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup molasses
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves
1-2/3 cups flour
Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the vegetable oil, molasses, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Stir on low until smooth. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour. Stir until the dough comes together. It will look smooth and shiny.

Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and roll in the sugar; place on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten the cookies with a fork or the bottom of a drinking glass.

Bake for 10-11 minutes, until set. The cookies will seem very soft, but will firm up as they cool. Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion

No comments: