Friday, February 21, 2014

Butterscotch Sundae Cookies




I usually decide which cookies I am going to bake for Friday early in the week. Usually, well lately at least, I am pretty good about following through and making the cookies that I had planned. My husband had sent me a recipe that I had planned to make this week, but when it came time to bake I just wasn’t feeling it. I’m sure the cookies will be good, but I just wanted to try something else. When in doubt, I always turn to the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion for inspiration. I found this recipe for butterscotch sundae cookies and decided to go in that direction.

I’m not really sure why they are butterscotch sundae cookies, I think I would call them butterscotch pecan cookies, but that’s not very exciting. I love that you toast the pecans in butter. Nuts taste fantastically better when they are toasted, and everything is better with butter. The recipe called for butter rum extract, which I didn’t have. I used rum extract but I really should have just added some rum. Why not use the real stuff?

The dough for these cookies seems really soft, since the pecans are warm when you add them to the batter. They bake up great though, although you have to watch carefully to make sure that they don’t over bake. My first batch or two were a tiny bit too browned, and they do set as they cool so don’t be afraid if it seems like the cookies aren’t quite done. These cookies are great! Nice soft and chewy cookie with great buttery flavor from the toasted pecans and butterscotch chips. 

Butterscotch Sundae Cookies
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
¾ teaspoon salt

¾ cup butter, room temperature
1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
¼ teaspoon rum extract
2 eggs
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 cup butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large skillet, melt the 3 tablespoons butter over low heat. Add the chopped pecans and stir for a couple of minutes, until the nuts begin to toast. They will smell nutty. Remove from the heat and stir in the ¾ teaspoon salt. Transfer the nuts to a bowl and set aside.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the ¾ cup butter, brown sugar and rum extract. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and then stir in the baking powder, baking soda, and ¼ teaspoon salt. With the mixer running on low, stir in the flour, toasted pecans, and butterscotch chips.

Drop the dough on to the prepared baking sheets with a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop. Bake for 11-13 minutes, until golden on the edges. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Recipe from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion

No comments: