Friday, February 28, 2014

Cinnamon Chip Refrigerator Cookies



Well, it was adventures in baking this week for me! I had found this recipe around Christmas; it was in one of those Christmas cookie recipe books that you can buy at the grocery store during the holidays. This was from a book that my parents had bought. This recipe sounded great and I really like cinnamon chips. I took a photo of the recipe but I don’t remember the title of the recipe book. Bad for me, especially since I’m a librarian and I know better than that!

I made the cookie dough one night since the dough needed to chill for at least 8 hours. The night I made the dough, I turned the oven on to make dinner, and it didn’t heat up! After some investigation my husband discovered that one of the wires connected to the igniter had burnt up. It must have happened when I cleaned the oven recently. Well, at least I have a microwave oven/convection oven so I decided to use that.

The convection oven took a bit to get used to; my first batch baked FOREVER! I then tried the speed cook, which had a setting for refrigerated cookies, and that worked a lot better. I could only bake 6 cookies at a time though, so baking the cookies ended up being and all evening affair. In the end, they turned out. I did have to take them out of the oven when they looked quite under done, but they finished cooking and set as they cooled. They don’t brown quite as much as a regular oven, but not too bad. These cookies are crisp, like shortbread, but with wonderful cinnamon flavor and the buttery flavor of toasted pecans.

Cinnamon Chip Refrigerator Cookies
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups flour
10 ounces cinnamon chips
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter until creamy. With the mixer running on medium, gradually add the sugar, beat until well combined. Add in the eggs and vanilla and stir until incorporated. With the mixer running on low, add the flour gradually. Once the flour disappears into the dough, stir in the cinnamon chips and pecans.

Divide the dough into thirds. Shape each piece of dough into a log about 12” long, making sure that each log is about the same diameter. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. The dough can also be frozen for up to 3 months.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Remove the plastic wrap from the logs and slice into ½” slices. Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 13-15 minutes, until lightly golden along the edges. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from a Christmas cookie recipe booklet

No comments: