Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Dulce de Leche Bundt Cake



I love making Bundt cakes. They are quick and easy to put together and you can seemingly incorporate any flavor imaginable into the cake. I made this cake for a birthday celebration and work. It turned out great, but I had a long evening of baking to get there. I started with one cake I wanted to bake, but didn’t have the ingredients and didn’t want to go to the store. Then I made the batter for another cake. Well, the batter had melted candy bars in them and when I melted the candy I must have got it too hot, as it had turned to hard sugar. Perhaps I should have just called it quits then, but I kept trying.

I then picked this cake, which of course did require an ingredient I didn’t have and did end up going to the store anyway! This uses dulce de leche, which is a super thick caramel sauce. I’ve found it in fancy grocery stores but also in the Mexican food section, where it is usually a lot cheaper. You can make your own with sweetened condensed milk, but that takes a long time. I guess you could use regular caramel sauce, too.

After such a trying night of baking, this cake turned out wonderfully! It baked up nice, came out of the pan cleanly, and looked fantastic. I sprinkled it with powdered sugar and packed it up to take to work. The cake was well received; it has a wonderful caramel flavor and the toffee bits add just the slightest crunch. 

Dulce de Leche Bundt Cake
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup dulce de leche
4 eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup milk, at room temperature
1 cup toffee chips
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a large Bundt pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until well combined. Add the dulce de leche and stir until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.

With the mixer running on low, add 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by half of the milk. Add an additional 1/3 of the flour and the remaining milk. Add the last portion of flour and mix just until the flour is incorporated. Stir in the toffee chips. Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan and smooth the top to make sure the batter is even.

Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a thin knife inserted in the pan comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Dust cake with powdered sugar before serving.

Recipe from Magnolia Days

No comments: