Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Biscoff Brownie Cake



I came across this cake a long time ago, and had Pinned it to make. Well, about two years later, I finally made it. I made this dessert for Easter dinner at my parent’s house.  I suppose that it isn’t a very Eastery dessert, but it’s something that I thought my mom would like. It’s chocolate and Biscoff/cookie butter, so it couldn’t be too bad, right?

I remember when Biscoff was just impossible to find. I looked at every grocery store and couldn’t find it anywhere. Of course now it’s easy to find, but it still can be kind of expensive depending on which store I go to.  I really like the version that Trader Joe’s makes, Cookie Butter, and I always try to keep that in stock at home. This frosting is made with Cookie Butter.

The base of this brownie/cake is a single saucepan brownie. It doesn’t have any leavening, so it’s a very dense brownie. I think I could have baked my brownie about a minute or two less; I think this brownie would have been good a little on the gooey side. This makes more frosting than you need, but having leftover tasty frosting is ok by me. This cake is deceivingly rich. I cut fairly big pieces for Easter dessert, and they were too big. This is a nice little cake that very decadent, and best served with a big glass of milk.


Biscoff Brownie Cake
½ cup butter, cut in pieces
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup Biscoff or Cookie Butter spread
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
Melted chocolate
Chocolate sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9” pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Spray the parchment with cooking spray.

In the top of a double boiler, place the butter and chocolate. Heat the mixture over simmering water, stirring until melted. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Add in the sugar, salt, and vanilla and stir until blended. Add in the eggs, one at a time, stirring to incorporate before adding the second egg. Add the flour and cocoa; stir until the mixture is smooth.

Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean. Do not over bake.

Cool on a wire rack. Remove from the pan, peel away the parchment and allow to cool completely.

Make the frosting: In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter, Biscoff, and powdered sugar. Mix on low speed until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon heavy cream and beat on medium until light. Add additional heavy cream if the frosting is too thick.


Evenly spread the frosting on top of the cooled brownie cake. Drizzle the melted chocolate on top of the frosting and swirl the chocolate and frosting together into a decorative pattern. Sprinkle the edge of the cake with chocolate sprinkles. Cut into wedges to serve.

Recipe from Bakers Royale

No comments: