Friday, May 9, 2014

Fluffernutter Chocolate Chip Bars



So my husband and I ventured to Costco the other day to stock up on a couple of things. Costco is a great place to stock up on stuff, but I really don’t like to go there on the weekends since it is so busy. Unfortunately that’s about the only time we can go. One of the things I bought was the giant bag of chocolate chips. When they checked our receipt as we went through the exit, the Costco person said “You’re going to make chocolate chip cookies!”

My husband was thrilled since those are his favorite and he claims I never make them for him. (Which I guess is fairly true, as you wouldn’t want to read post after post about chocolate chip cookies.) I had pinned these bars a short while ago and I figured that they were close to chocolate chip cookie…bars, so I thought I would give them a try. And I had bought mini marshmallows at the store last week.

These mixed up fast, which is great as it seems like I have been home late from work every day this week. My only struggle was knowing when these were baked enough. The original recipe sad 20 minutes, and the dough was still practically raw. I added 4 minutes, then 3, then a few more a couple of times, until they were golden brown. I hoped they weren’t over baked! When I cut them they were still a little gooey in the center, which is fine by me. They’re pretty decadent, with chocolate chips, peanut butter, and marshmallows. These are great with a glass of milk.

Fluffernutter Chocolate Chip Bars
1 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups mini marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9” x 13” pan with foil and spray the foil with cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, add the butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat on medium until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, stirring just until the flour is incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips and mini marshmallows with a spatula. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.

Bake for 30-40 minutes or until light brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Remove the bars from the pan by lifting the foil. Peel away the foil and cut into bars.

Recipe from Back for Seconds

No comments: