Friday, May 23, 2014

HobNobs



If you’re British, or have spent any time in the UK, you’ll know what HobNobs are. They are one of the most popular cookies there, so popular that even my local grocery store carries them in the tiny British section. I had been debating about what to bake this week and I saw these and knew they were what I was going to make. If don’t know what they are, they are a tea cookie with oats, with a slight sweetness due to golden syrup.

Golden syrup is kind of like honey or corn syrup, but 100 times better. I can usually find it here in the States, even in the new squeeze bottle. Lately I can only find the traditional can, which is a pain to use. Luckily, I still had a little left in my squeeze bottle. You can certainly substitute honey or light corn syrup, but something about using golden syrup makes these cookies, makes them quintessentially British.

They are very simple and mix together quickly, although my dough was a bit crumbly. This batch made 24 good-sized cookies, so if you have a big group to share with you may want to double the recipe. They bake for a longer time at lower temperature, making a crispy exterior. They are crispy on the outside, crumbly and airy on the inside, with a subtle sweetness. My husband, who grew up eating HobNobs, says these are just like the original but better!

HobNobs
10 tablespoons butter, room temperature
11 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon golden syrup (or honey)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup self-rising flour*
1-1/3 cups oats

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light. Stir in the milk, golden syrup, and baking soda. Add the flour and oats and stir until the dough comes together; do not over beat.

Shape the dough into 1-1/4” balls and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 22-25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the baking sheets and cool on a wire rack.

Recipe from The English Kitchen

*I make my own self-rising flour by combining 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, and ½ teaspoon salt

No comments: