Friday, June 20, 2014

Black Forest Cookies



One of my favorite types of cakes is Black Forest Cake, a combination of chocolate and cherries. I was looking for cookie recipes a couple of weeks ago and I thought that it would be great to make Black Forest Cookies. I did a search and I came across a number of variations. This one stood out to me; it contained chocolate and cherries, but also white chocolate chips and, the ingredient that sold the deal, marzipan. (You could also use almond paste.)

I didn’t have any marzipan on hand, and it is a fairly expensive ingredient. The cheapest place I can get it is Ikea. But there is the risk of going to Ikea and end up, I don’t know, buying a sofa or something. (True story!) Would the amount I save buying the marzipan at Ikea be worth it, knowing that I can never leave Ikea with just one thing? We went to Ikea, and we managed to make it out of the store spending less than $20. I really did need those kitchen towels, spatula, and chocolate/hazelnut candy bars.

I chopped the marzipan and froze it the night before, but otherwise these cookies are very similar to making chocolate chip cookies. The original recipe said that it made about 3 dozen cookies, but I made 4-1/2 dozen. I guess mine are small. There’s nothing worse than an over baked chocolate cookie, so take them out of the oven when they still look a little gooey. Rotating the baking sheets half way through the time also helps to avoid over baking. The flavor combination in these cookies is unbeatable. The marzipan adds so much, and pairs perfectly with the cherries. 

Black Forest Cookies
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup white chocolate chips
2/3 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
1/2 cup diced marzipan, frozen

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In a large mixer bowl beat the butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract. Beat until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients, a little at a time, mixing just until combined. Add white chocolate chips, chocolate chips and dried cherries. Mix on low until combined. Stir in the marzipan with a spatula.

Using a small cookie scoop, shape the dough into 1-1/4” balls. Place on the prepared baking sheet, allowing about 2” between the cookies.

Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking time. The cookies will be slightly puffy and may not look fully baked. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: