Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Savory Wheat Crackers



This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe is for Savory Wheat Crackers. I’ve never made crackers at home, and my husband question how you would even make them! I had seen other cracker recipes before but this was the first time trying to make them. They are as simple as simple gets, just whole wheat flour, water, and salt. Interesting how such simple ingredients can come together to make something. The variations for these crackers comes in the topping. Check out all of the different toppings that the Tuesdays with Dorie bakers used by visiting the Tuesdays with Dorie site .

I topped mine with just sesame seeds and salt, which is a topping I liked. I tried making a half batch of the dough in my medium-sized food processor and I just don’t think that it had enough power. I also couldn’t have the machine process while I added the water. I guess I should have just used the bigger food processor. As a result, my dough didn’t seem quite right. I think it needed more flour, as it was very sticky. When I tried to roll it out, it stuck terribly.

I think the trick to making good crackers is rolling the dough out super thin. When I got my dough really thin, it stuck and when I tried to move it to the baking sheet it wasn’t successful. I baked them up anyway, not as thin as I had hoped, and they are ok. They aren’t crispy though. My husband said they taste kind of like bagels, which I agree. They taste ok, just don’t have the texture that you would expect a cracker to have. So these weren’t the best success, but I really enjoyed trying something new. I missed not being able to make any of the Tuesdays with Dorie recipes last month, but I should have more time in the future.

Recipe from Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan, pages 163-164

3 comments:

oven chaos said...

Love the salty tops of your crackers! Maybe rolling the dough between plastic wrap would help with the sticking?

Cher Rockwell said...

They look like they came out nicely!

I thought that lots of flour was definitely needed to keep this dough from sticking. It was sticky dough, for sure!

Sunita said...

So sorry that the recipe did not work for you. I kneaded mine by hand and rolled them out very thin and they crisped up nicely.