Friday, July 18, 2014

Butterscotch Oatmeal Crispy Rice Cookies



It’s still pretty warm in my house but the weather is finally cooling off and I am so glad! I had bought crispy rice cereal for last week’s cookies and now I had a big box to use up. I made crispy rice marshmallow treats and I still had a lot left. I was looking through the recipes that I had pinned and I noticed this one also used crispy rice cereal. Great!

These cookies are fairly similar to ranger cookies, which I adore. The base of these cookies is similar to a chocolate chip cookie, but with the addition of oats, crispy rice cereal, and butterscotch chips. I thought about substituting a different type of chip, since I didn’t have any butterscotch chips, but I wasn’t sure what would be best. I thought about cinnamon chips, but I just made something with those, and I didn’t think milk chocolate chips would give the right nuance of flavor.

I was mixing these up and they contain over 2 cups of flour, 2 cups of oatmeal, plus 2 cups of crispy rice cereal so this recipe makes quite a few cookies! I made my cookies on the bigger side and got 5 dozen cookies. The dough is fairly soft, and I chilled to dough between batches because my kitchen was fairly warm. The original recipe said that you might want to process the oats to give the cookies finer texture, but I love the texture that the oats give. These cookies are the perfect combination of chewy and crunchy!

Butterscotch Oatmeal Crispy Rice Cookies
2¼ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups oats, regular or old fashioned (not instant)
1 cup butter, room temperature
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup butterscotch chips
2 cups crispy rice cereal, plus more for topping

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
   
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and oatmeal. In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter, sugar and brown sugar and beat on medium until light. Add the vanilla and eggs and stir to combine.  Add about 1/2 of the flour mixture and mix on low, until the dry ingredients are almost incorporated. Stop the mixer and add the rest of the flour mixture and mix on low until incorporated. Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the butterscotch chips and crispy rice cereal with a spatula.

Shape the dough into 1-1/2 inch balls. Pour some crispy rice cereal into a small bowl and press the tops of the cookies in the cereal; place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 8-9 minutes, until lightly golden on the edges. The tops of the cookies may look under baked, but will firm up as the cookies cool. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: